Monday, March 9, 2009

Tasks and Committees

I think it's time for you guys to organize yourselves into committees to start and/or accomplish a few important tasks before NEXT WEEK.

1. Website... this seems to have been taken on by Ethan and David (thanks!). Anyone who wants to contribute, please contact them. Since they jumped on it, I suggest that we get out of their way.The website should include, at minimum, everyone's name, the dates, the location, the sponsors (OUC, Fields Motorcars of Florida, others to follow). We'll need to get the logos from the sponsors (I'll take care of these two)
2. Press. I'll help on this, but it would be good if someone (someones) would take a stab at writing a press release. Also, at minimum, it should include the above info... but it should also include enough information that some writer would see the potential for an article. So think of a hook, and write the press release around that (i.e. "20 emerging artists partner w. local business to showcase work", or "artists turn empty storefront into night of art" or something like that. Also: someone should contact WUCF and WPRK --they do PSAs all day long, and sometimes feature stories (they did a lengthy interview with 2 members of the group last time). Also: There's a show on WUCF called Art Beat...someone should contact Becky Morgan there and pitch the story.
3. Promotional collateral. Posters? Flyers? Air Fresheners? How are they getting designed and printed?
4. A plan to distribute the above. Where are they going to go? How are they going to get there?
5. A finance committee and/or treasurer. Ethan, I believe, already volunteered..but maybe he's going to focus on the website right now. I leave that up to him. If someone else wants to do this, please speak up. We need to establish a budget. What is the promotional collateral going to cost? What are the installation costs (who needs pedestals? How many walls do we need?) What's the website going to cost? Are we paying for a dj? What about the reception?
6. An installation committee. I expect everyone to play a part in this, but those of you who are good carpenters, plasterers, painters, etc. should take charge of this.
7. Reception. Are we going to ask for sponsorships? Who? Who is going to ask?

I'll let you decide how best to organize yourselves. .
--Theo

13 comments:

  1. I'd like to be part of the press committee. I'll start working on a press release, but it would be good if other people do also -- more to bounce from.

    I'll post my version as soon as I'm at least halfway satisfied with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll focus on the website. What I need from everybody is 1 image to represent your work at the show, at least 450px tall, and your name.

    Please email these to me @ napoleoman@yahoo.com

    -David Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. correction, please send images that are at least 900x450.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to focus on distribution of the advertising materials. I live in Winter Park, which should be one of the main places we advertise, and work close to downtown, which is the obvious place to advertise. Anyone else that wants to work on this with me, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any experience with the majority of these things, so I could focus on the installation committee, especially since I do have a fair amount of professional grade equipement that will make the job a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would like to design the promo items. i will put together a poster, postcard and tree hanger if that is what everyone wants to do. i'm not sure if you all would like everything to match the website or if it would be okay for them to have a different design. i'll start working on it anyway

    ReplyDelete
  7. David's got the website covered. I can handle the budget I think. I feel like I need a little more direction with it though

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would also like to assist with designing promotional material as well as printing it - both Ashlee Walters and I can screenprint, and this would probably be the best way to cut down on costs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for joining you all so late...I can help distribute fliers and advertisements, as well as be apart of the installation committee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to help with the press. Two classmates of mine are interns at the Orlando Sentinel; I'll see what they can do or whom they suggest to contact. Also, I believe the Orlando Sentinel wants press releases three weeks prior to the event. I would also like to help with installation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can certainly help with the distribution of press materials. I'm familiar where all those damn hipsters hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can help with any kind of labor involving creating flyers and distributing them.

    I also would like to help with any major installation issues we may have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. once the flyers are in i am interested in distribution and getting the word out, ive already notified my friends and other artists that would be interested.

    i would also be available to install/set up/breakdown the days of the show.

    ReplyDelete