Friday, March 27, 2009

Hot Topic

So I was thinking about getting huge bondage raver pants and spiked collars from Hot Topic so that... No. I'm kidding. The "hot topic" I am referring to is the space we have and the obsession some have with real estate, which I think is a bit childish. I'm not trying to start trouble here, but this is something we're going to need to figure out.

Now, I think it is important to keep in mind that in shows in the past many students have chosen to show only a few works. These people were usually the better artists, believe it or not. No offense, but I don't think anyone on our class is some kind of prolific artiste. Yet. Also, you have to remember that quality is more important than quantity.

With that said, I was going to suggest we post what we are expecting to show, a ballpark estimate if you will. I know some are still working. I was reprinting stuff today in fact. I have a handful of pieces in different mediums I have selected after careful consideration. After all the trash talking you may give me some crap, but I feel its pretty reasonable. I am also certainly willing to lose a few of the pieces. If that's the case its better to know now before I open the frames I got so that I may return them. Since the size of the work is irrelevant in my case, I will list the frame sizes and amount of framed work I would like to show. Also, I wouldn't mind assembling them in a clustered type of way, which I'm sure would not take up very much room. And I am certainly eager to work the space situation out with my fellow artists because I think that's important and I want this show to be good. Here's my crap:

Five (5) 11"x14" frames
Three (3) 16"x20" frames

Also, I have a very small book I would like to show. I don't need a pedestal for it, because the pedestal situation seems like a serious ordeal. I could rig up a thing on the wall for it. And if the book thing is out that's fine by me.

Again, I can drop a few pieces if necessary. They're pretty small though.

Good luck, be kind.

11 comments:

  1. By the way, they're all landscape style besides the the 16"x20" print, which is taller rather than wider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to show 3 3ft wide paintings. 2 will be 3x3ft, and one will be 3x4ft.

    Thank you Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am doing an installation specifically for this show. the piece will be hung flat against the wall and part of it is a 15' long by approx. 2' wide fabric panel. i don't need much space horizontally but i don't think it will work on one of the walls we are building because it needs to be hung higher. i also have a small 3d piece that will be on a pedestal and will not take up much room at all.

    p.s. thanks sean. i think it is important that we start figuring this out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine (9) 16" x 20" frames
    I may be substituting 2 frames for a single image of equal width... I havent decided yet.

    I am willing to use fewer images if we are all crunched for space, but I can easily (and would like to) use up any amount of space given

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Danielle: I just checked out the schematics on here for the wall design, and unless something has changed, the longest wall is 12'. Do you mean that the piece is 15' tall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes sorry i should have said tall instead of long. it will probably be hung at 10'. i won't need any more wall space than anyone else though (horizontally)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have 5 11 x 15" frames all vertical

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ideally i would like 4 pedestals, but that probably won't happen. I would like 3.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have about 4-5 frames. they are no bigger than 3' X 4' (feet).
    and maybe 1.5' wide.

    ReplyDelete